Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Countdown to OBX!

I only have 12 days until I run the Outer Banks Half Marathon!
This is my second half marathon. I ran the Virginia Beach Rock and Roll 1/2 on Aug 30.
I am hoping to improve my time of 2:39:34 by 5 minutes.

If you have been watching my "Look At Me Go" button on the right you have seen that I have been training by running a few times a week and increasing my miles on one long run by one mile each week.

My running buddy, Laura, (she's running in OBX too) and I ran 11 1/2 miles yesterday, than walked another one.

We did 11 in about 2 hours and 5 minutes, so if we can keep that pace up we will be able to finish in just under 2:30, which would be awesome.

I have been using this training schedule since I signed up for my first 1/2. Except I modified it to suit me. For example, I always rest on Sunday. (And sometimes a few extra days).

I have been going to a deep water aerobics class and swimming laps as my cross training. It's way easier on the knees. (And might just come in handy if I get real serious about a triathalon).

I'm also planning on running the Shamrock Half Marathon in March. And I have lofty dreams of running the St. George (full) Marathon next October.

If you are reading this going "What? Is this girl crazy? I could never do that!" think again.

I only started running in June. Yes, of this year.

I started with one mile, worked up to 2, then 3, then 4. Then I signed up for a half marathon and started on that training program. And I stop to walk a lot.

Believe me, if I can do this, anybody can.

Even you.

I'll give you my bib # before the race and you can track me online.

Cheer me on! (I can't wait).

7 comments:

Lillian Wilkinson said...

Maybe we ought to talk about this "even you" part -- Drew

Tracy said...

that's awesome!

I love deep water aerobics, too. They don't have a deep pool at my gym, though, so I have to settle for the regular class. But it's always fun. You don't even notice you're working out until the next day.

I'm cheering for you already. :D

Stefany said...

Della-
I am so happy for you. You better post your bib number! Way to go.

Unknown said...

I am cheering for ya! I would rather talk about the water aerobics and laps thing before I even think of pondering a mile on foot. Lost 2 more pounds though.

Good Luck and Go Get Em' eeerrrrrr! That is my growl.

Marlene

Lillian Wilkinson said...

I was just kidding. I know "even me" I am getting started but it will take me a bit longer than it took you. I'll get it. -- Drew

Lillian Wilkinson said...

you are really an inspiration

Della Hill said...

Drew-
I got a laugh out of your first comment because I think I understood how you meant it.
But yes, even you, could accomplish this. I remember how you looked when I first met you.
A half marathon would not have been out of the realm of possibility for you at that time.
You could get there again. Really.
Tracy-
You are right, you don't feel the workout from water aerobics till the next day. But then you REALLY feel it. lol.
Pike-
I will post the bib number. Thanks for the support.
Spit-
You should get out and walk. You'd be surprised how much you get out of it.
Way to go on the weight loss. Keep it up!
-Della