Saturday, July 12, 2008

How to Stay Married for 41 Years

This is how.
___________
.
Just Kidding.
It probably also has something to do with:
-Unconditional acceptance of one another.
-Regular affection.
-Communication.
-Commitment to similiar goals.
-Praying together daily.
-Unity in marriage with freedom to be individuals.
-A sense of humor.
-Unconditional commitment to each other and to God.
.
I am sure there is more to it than that. But watching my parents as I grew up, these were some of the things that were obvious to me.
I will always remember Dad coming home from work, meeting Mom in the kitchen and kissing her heavily, with a lot of tongue and butt rubbing included.
Mom would giggle and seem slightly embarrassed, but I knew that my dad was in love with my mom.
That knowledge gave me comfort.
And I think that I am more successful in my own marriage of 11 years because I had them to learn from.
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad.
I'm glad God helped you find each other. And I'm grateful I got to be one of your kids.
-Della

2 comments:

Chet and Liz Hugo said...

Chet has always told me the story of how Chuck & Nancy would make out when your Dad would come home, but I have to say your description paints the whole picture in my mind. Thanks a lot Della.--Love Liz

Stefany said...

How sweet - what a great tribute. I think I need to get me one of these things ( Stockade?). I think it would look nice in the back yard with flowers around it...just in case.