Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Kind of Person I Want to Be, Sunday Post

I found a few scriptures in the last few days that struck me as powerful.
Today in Sunday School we read a verse that I have read before, but it hit me hard this time.
.
It was Ether 12, verse 27:
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
.
I have felt pretty weak in some areas over the last couple days. The thing about these particular weaknesses is that I have gone to God for help with them, and they have been pretty dang humbling.
.
There are 2 more scriptures about the kind of person I would like to be.
The book of Alma talks about Captain Moroni who led the Nephite armies in their defense against the Lamanites.
If you want to read his story it starts in Alma, chapter 46 and goes on for a while. It is an awesome story.
.
The 2 verses that sum up Moroni are Alma 48, verses 13 and 17.
13: Yea, and he was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ, and he had sworn with an oath to defend his people, his rights and his country, and his religion, even to the loss of blood.
.
This verse reminds me of my brother, who is in Iraq right now, and stands for all of those things.
.
17: Yea, verily, verily, I say unto you, if all men had been and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
.
So now we come back to the weaknesses. How do we ever get to be as awesome as Moroni when we have so many weaknesses?
This guy led all of the of the Nephites in defense of their lives, families, country and religion.
I am terrified of leading 20 primary children in singing songs.
.
In his talk from this October's General Conference, President Thomas S. Monson said "Remember that the Lord will shape the back to bear the burden placed upon it."
Most of us are not asked to lead armies into battle. Many of us are asked to serve our fellow men in other ways.
And when we realize our weaknesses and feel inadequate, we must go to God in humility and faith, so that he can make our weaknesses strong.
.
This is an amazing thing. I have faith that this is true, and I'm working on doing it.
But I'm still afraid of some of the things I am called to do.
So I guess it's through faith in action that some of our weaknesses are made strong.
We can't be made strong until we start lifting the weights, right? And the more we lift the stronger we get.
I guess I have some lifting to do.
Merry Christmas.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Thanks for sharing that. I don't get to be in RS or Gospel Doctrine, so I really appreciate your spiritual thoughts.

Happy lifting to you!!!

And a Merry Christmas!!!!

Mommom said...

I would definitely just say - yes. :)

Chuck and Nancy said...

This is what the Gospel of Christ is about. Last Fast Sunday I got to bear my testimony.
I commented on what a great ward we have. So many come into our ward and take the opportunity to grow, and we get to watch.
We had a new RM bear his testimony that day. One of the boys I got to work with. How many young men and ladies have left our ward to go on missions.
We start small and slow, and grow.
Keep lifting.
DAD

RAQ said...

Thanks for sharing, it means so much to hear others who share similar feelings and faith too! I know what you mean--I was chorister for 2 years for 150 kids! It's a very daunting job.

Unknown said...

I want to thank you for sharing this post. It is very meaningful to me. I sometimes get hard on myself thinking that other people never feel as I feel. I can not imagine you have weakness because I see you as this incredible, strong, and steadfast individual, but I have realized spiritual growth and otherwise is a personal journey not a race amongst everyone else.

Thank you for sharing your journey with the rest of us.

Marlene

Stefany said...

Okay that is the one calling I think I would really struggle with ...primary chorister. Yeah. I am so sorry but - I BET YOUR GONNA BE AWESOME.

Della Hill said...

Thanks everybody.
I appreciate the support.
Funny how a little thing can throw me for such a loop.
The humility has been good for me too.
I guess I'd better get lifting.
-Della

Lillian Wilkinson said...

When you speak of Moroni and weakness you also have to remember that insight is what happens when we humble ourselves enough to hear the still amall voice. Being able to recognize our weaknesses and persevere through them while growth takes place is one of the greatest strengths you can have. That to me is how Moroin was always firm in the faith of Jesus Christ, he had insight enough to recognize his weakness but courage to persevere while the growth took place. I love you Della thanks for all you have given to me and my family. -- Drew