Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference

I am posting late today because I spent today watching General Conference.
Yes, I know that only took up 4 hours of my day, and even though I live 2500 miles from where Conference was held I still got to watch it in the comfort of my own living room with our satellite dish, and didn't have to drag the kids to the Stake Center to watch it.
(Am I totally spoiled that I have never had to do that?)
One of my kids has been away this week, and since he's the one that gets up bright and early, and gets the rest of us up bright and early, we all slept in today.
We did try to follow through with a family tradition, which is to put a puzzle together while we watch conference.
Mark decided the puzzle pieces were better stacked into towers than put together, and we didn't get it all done, but I'm sure we will over the next day or two. It's still on the coffee/cocoa table.
I enjoyed conference. There were a few talks that seemed to stand out to me along the lines of parenting. (Maybe there's a reason for that, hmm...) Also good ones about tithing, the scriptures, family histories and others.
It was also great to hear Thomas S. Monson address the church during his first conference as the President of the church and to sustain him as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator.
What an important occasion! What an awesome man.
Sometimes I wonder why God felt I deserved to be born into a family that taught me about God, Jesus, and the fullness of their gospel from my infancy. So many have to struggle and search to find the truth and then have to excercise great courage and faith to accept it and live it.
Maybe God knows I am too weak to have to do it that way.
Still I am grateful.
Enough rambling for today.
If you don't know what I am talking about and want to, check out mormon.org or leave a comment.
As always, thanks for reading and continuing to reinforce and encourage me.
-Della

5 comments:

Chet and Liz Hugo said...

This conference, especially the first session on Sunday, I felt the Spirit so strongly. I spent the whole session in tears. I can't really remember the talks either. It is certainly one I'll remember the rest of my life, not for the things that were said, but for the way it made me feel. Of course, I had the mother of all criers headaches after.--Liz

Della Hill said...

Wow, that must have been an impressive event.
It's great that it meant so much to you.
I bet Chet was worried about you.
Don't worry, you can always read the articles in the Ensign.
Do you wonder why crying as a result of the spirit causes such huge headaches?
Shouldn't spirit-caused headaches be immune to the residual pain?
I think they should.
-Della

Chet and Liz Hugo said...

The kids were a little worried, but Chet wasn't. He knows the difference between my spiritual crying and "other" crying. We explained why I was crying to the kids, and how that this was how my body reacts when I feel the Spirit. AND, yes I think some things should be immune to residual pain, BUT nothing in life is.--Liz

Lydia said...

It was the next to last talk that did it to me maybe because I am a "young mom" but I cried thru the whole talk. and yes I did have a migraine last night too and the hang over today but I have never put that with a spiritual cry before? Lydia

Della Hill said...

Lydia,
I enjoyed that talk too.
It made me really grateful (again) that my husband helps out around the house so much and that I get regular me time.
But it also reminded me that I need to spend more time interacting and playing with my kids, not just being around them.
Parenthood is a great thing.
I'm sorry about the headaches. You both have my complete sympathy.
-Della