Saturday, November 8, 2008

Chili Cook-Off!

Our ward's chili cook-off was last night. For den meeting on Thursday I took a bunch of chili ingredients and spices.
I had browned the ground beef ahead of time.
My cub scouts opened cans somewhat randomly and poured in a variety of spices.
The scouts got really into it and had a lot of fun.
I heated the chili and took it to the cook-off.
The note at the bottom of the page says: Made BY cub scouts, not WITH them.
But even though we clarified that there were no cub scouts in the chili we still won the award for most unique ingredients.
(That may also have had something to do with the fact that I really don't know what was in the chili.)
Almost surprisingly, the chili was actually pretty good. One of the judges told me it was one of his favorites and one person asked for the recipe. Which I was completely unable to give.
Our pack won a dozen doughnuts from Krispy Kreme.
I will redeem them and bring them to den meeting next week.
The scouts should be happy.
.
There was also a pie contest.
I made my quadruple berry pie.
Which I have to admit was delicious.
But I forgot to take a picture until they were all gone.
I didn't win anything for my pie. But all 3 of the ones I made got eaten.
(Actually, almost all of the pies got eaten).
.
Chris was disappointed that his chili, which contained 8 different kinds of peppers, didn't win the award for spiciest.
He's already revising his recipe for next year.
I think he's disappointed that his chili didn't make anyone cry.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

That is great your ward does that! It sounds fun! Have a great weekend! ♥ Hugs

Lydia said...

I want the recipe for the pie. can you post it or e-mail it

Mike Hugo said...

Our ward had a chili cook off. I won the most spicy. The secret was not peppers, it was Purecap. We're talking 500,000 scoville units. http://www.hotsauceworld.com/purecap.html

It comes with an eyedropper and it says only add a few drops. I added a few tablespoons.

Niki was worried for the bishop.

Stefany said...

okay whats left of the pie looks really good.

Lillian Wilkinson said...

I think it is a good idea to have a chili cookoff in Nov. our branches was in april and it just seemed wrong.
Good job on including your scouts.
your pie drippings looked yummy. Tell Chris to try Franks hot sauce and tobasco.(this is from someone who does not like hot)
Lillie

Hollys Hobbies said...

AH Chris, it made me cry just HEARING that there was more than 1 kind of pepper!
Did that make you feel better? ;)